Football BC has laid out a process of steps that are aimed at supporting young football players as they aspire to play, coach, or officiate the game at higher levels. All of the following programs and events will be coordinated by the football family in BC to improve the quality of football, the player and, ultimately, the person.
Introduction of Flag Football (Elementary School program) - 6-12 years old
- Visits to schools to introduce the sport and play using the basic skills of football
- Emphasis on how fun, safe and challenging football is while learning the greatest team sport
Practice with the Pros
- One-day camps that introduce and enhance skills for young players, while getting tips from our local pros
- Camps are held at different locations throughout the province
Team BC - Prep to be the Best (U12/U14)
- These age groups are largely developmental as we expose these athletes to the higher level of commitment and dedication required to move forward in football
Team BC - under-16 years
- Aimed at a developmental process with touch points to learn systems, refine skills
- Participation in events that heighten competition and further evaluate our development
Team BC - under-18 years
- Process that is both developmental and competitive, enhanced by top coaching and top events
- Events and tournaments will serve to enhance the player exposure, as well as allow them to face the highest levels of competition
Senior Bowl - For graduating Grade 12 players and Midget players in their final year of eligibility (must not have attended a prior Senior Bowl)
- Five-day camp at the BC Lions Training Facility with coaches from around the province including University, Junior, High School, and Community
Involvement in Football BC's developmental program who wish to be part of the high performance provincial teams (Team BC) starts each year in late January/early February with the Football BC Combine Series. Attendance in one of the Football BC Combine Series sessions is mandatory to be eligible for Team BC consideration during that year/season.
Players who attend one of the Football BC Combine Series sessions will then have the opportunity to be invited to camps such as the annual Team BC May Long Weekend camp (for U16 and U18) or other similar camps for other age categories where teams are put together to represent British Columbia at the national/international level.
In addition, the Football BC Combine Series also serves as a tryout for players who wish to attend Senior Bowl camp.