To all Team BC prospects;
Back in January when we negotiated with Football University (FBU) to field three teams in their National Championship tournament, due to the differences in ages for students attending Grades 6, 7 and 8 in the United States compared to Canada, we worked out an arrangement where FBU would allow our teams to be based on a set age range.
However, through the summer and this past September, FBU received significant pushback from the American teams participating in the tournament who were concerned that Team BC would be competing in this tournament with players under a different criteria therefore creating an inequality in the tournament.
At the end of the day, it is difficult to match up ages with grade. So, in order to compete in the tournament, we have had to go back to the tournament standard of being grade-based. Football University has apologized profusely but have asked us to participate under the grade-based criteria.
This will mean the following:
1. All players that were named to a roster and are currently in Grades 9 or 10 are now, unfortunately, ineligible to compete. However, Football BC has successfully negotiated participation in a USA Football/Football Canada event that will be taking place in Dallas, Texas in early February. Players who were previously named to a cut-down roster who are in Grades 9 or 10 currently will be eligible to be named to this team that competes in Dallas. We will have more information on this event at a later time.
2. All players who were previously named to a roster and are currently in Grades 6, 7 or 8 remain eligible for a roster spot on one of the respective grade-based teams (we will be asking you to provide a Fall 2013 report card or equivalent to prove your grade at the final selection camp).
3. Football BC will be holding a tryout on Monday, November 11 for players currently in Grade 6 from 12:30 pm to 2:30 pm at Burnaby Central Secondary School for the Grade 6 Team BC. If you are a player currently in Grade 6 and have already been previously named to a roster, you DO NOT need to attend this tryout and you will be an extended an invitation to the final selection camp.
4. The date(s) for the final selection camp for all three teams (Grade 6, 7, and 8) have been moved to the weekend of November 22-24. Exact dates, times and location will be available shortly.
5. The head coaches will be changed for each group as a result of the age changes. Nick Kawaza will lead the Grade 8 team, Mike Pauls will lead the Grade 7 team and Pete McCall will lead the Grade 6 team.
For those players who remain grade-eligible and have already been named to a roster, we will shortly be making online registration for the final selection camp available.
There will be a refundable charge of $540 (or $600 – see information on travel below) to attend the camp. The charge reflects the total cost for participation in the Seattle portion of the tournament. For those players who do not make the final roster, this charge will be refunded to you in full.
We will be emailing all of you when the registration form is open. When you register online, you will be confirming your spot at the final selection camp. The registration deadline will be set for Monday, November 4. You will have the option to pay online (credit card or Paypal). You may also pay via bank draft or money order. Please note that Football BC no longer accepts personal cheques due to the high number of bounces.
As part of our efforts to lower overall costs, as well as recognizing that players often like to travel with their parents and/or family members to nearby events, the registration form will provide two payment choices. The $540 cost does not include transportation, while the $600 cost includes bus transportation to/from Seattle. Because of the lead-time we require in order to make travel arrangements, you cannot change your choice after you have made it.
For those players who opt to travel on their own, they will be provided with detailed instructions on where to meet the team in Seattle. For those players who choose to travel with the team, we will provide information on where to meet the team bus. Please note if you plan to travel with the team, the bus is scheduled to depart after the final Team BC game on Sunday which means potentially not leaving until close to 8 pm (the arrival time back in Vancouver would be approximately midnight to 1 am).
Your registration fee will include food and accommodations in Seattle, as well as costs for player clothing package, trainers, staff and tournament fees. All players are required to stay with the team in pre-arranged accommodations. Family and friends will be required to make their own accommodation arrangements while in Seattle. Parents are welcome to stay at the team hotel. Information on the hotel will be provided shortly.
If the respective teams advance to the next round(s), the costs will be announced for the Sacramento and/or San Antonio portion of the competition at a later time.
If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Technical Director, Football BC